Strawberry Delizz® Delivers Easy and Delicious Strawberries!
We spend a lot of time enjoying our outdoor living spaces and creating delicious meals at home. With its beautiful blooms and aromatic fresh fruit, Strawberry Delizz® fits right in.
This first-ever AAS strawberry winner is easy to grow. The variety sets a large number of fruits, and the ready-to-pick berries are packed with flavor. It blooms and produces tasty strawberries all season long (yes, even in the heat of the summer). Your pollinator friends, who are always looking for food sources, will be happy all season long.
Try pairing this AAS Winner with mint and basil in your kitchen garden or window box – think about all the desserts you’ll be making! That is if you haven’t eaten them all during the harvest…
Or create a lovely mixed container in your garden. Plant flowers and herbs, with Delizz®, tucked along the edge where the deep red strawberries are true eye-catchers, ready to be picked. We call that an ornaedible!
How to Grow Strawberry Delizz®
Delizz® can be grown from seed or you can purchase plants at your favorite garden retailer. Either way, you choose, here are some tips for success:
7 tips to grow Strawberry Delizz® from seed:
- The best time to sow strawberry seed is in early Spring from February to April.
- Spread the seeds sparingly (they have a very high germination percentage) in any container with a fine seedling mix.
- Cover the seeds lightly with a thin layer of the mix.
- Moisten the soil with a fine spray.
- Close or cover the container with a lid or wrap to retain moisture.
- Place the container in a bright spot but not in full sun, at room temperature around 65-75 F.
- After 4-6 weeks, when the first true leaf develops, transplant the plants into pots then begin to harden off.
- Fully grown plants can be moved or planted outside after the last frost.
7 tips on caring for your Delizz® strawberry plant:
- Position your Delizz® plant in a sunny place either indoors or out.
- Give your Delizz® plant enough water to produce all that delicious fruit. If in a container, that might mean watering once a day. We advise a water-soluble fertilizer at least once a week.
- Trusses laden with fruit need to have good support in order to prevent blockage of water flow through a bent truss stem.
- If keeping your plant indoors, after four weeks inside, most of the strawberries will be harvested. It is time to move your Delizz® plant outside. It is also a good time to transplant your Delizz® in a larger pot or plant directly in garden soil. Now you can enjoy your delicious Delizz® strawberries all summer until the first frost.
- If your Delizz® plant is outside, beware of uninvited guests. Snails love strawberries, but luckily they also love beer. You can control snails by burying a shallow jar or lid in the ground filled with diluted beer. Keep the birds away from your delicious Delizz® strawberries by placing a net over the plants.
- Your Delizz® strawberries will be full of flavor if you let them ripen well and harvest them regularly, at least twice a week for best results.
“This post is provided as an education/inspirational service of All-America Selections. Please credit and link to All-America Selections when using all or parts of this article.”